Sunday, June 1, 2008

Day Seven: Week 1 Breakdown


It's that time again...for Bananas!!

Well, folks week one on the fruit has come and gone. Now on to the next!


But first, here is this weeks body/mind&spirit check-in:

Physically, my body feels great. Less sore after workouts, strong and vibrant, less acidic, and maybe a smidge lighter? You don't drop the pounds as quickly as juice feasting, but that's cool. Elimination is AMAZING when I have mangos, otherwise just ok. Wondering if the bananas clog me up a bit?

Mind: Feels good, but still wondering if this is a short term or long term thing? Definitely feels like a diet rather than a lifestyle, but I think I am still getting used to the simplicity of the foods. Not having to be in the kitchen and spending so much time "cooking" and cleaning has been a much welcomed break, BUT, I do miss being creative in the kitchen. To help, I cooked my sweety a yummy ( didn't taste it, but he claims it was) summer pasta meal with lots of fresh produce and herbs from the green marked.

Moods: fairly even, despite the fact that I was PMSing (and didn't know it!), and have had so much going on (like planning my wedding and working more than full time). The only crankiness I really felt was not having access to "numbing" foods, especially at night, which is my numb-out time of choice. I feel like I am weaning off of drugs --pacing up and down, breaking out into cold sweats and fits of rage! haha Ok, well it wasn't that bad, but close! ;)

I have been reading Dr. Graham's 80/10/10 book and left with a few questions:

1) What does he consider "vigorous exercise" and how much does he recommend one do everyday? I walk at a pretty good clip everyday for miles and rebound every other day, both of which feel good, but I certainly don't break much of a sweat, unless it is really hot out, nor get my heart pumping. Perhaps I need to amp my exercise up a bit? But with what and how much?

2) Should I be tracking my caloric intake everyday? I did that for the first couple of days, but it takes me forever and I am not sure how useful it is. Ideally I want to drop a few pounds, but do I need to spend the time really tracking every calorie? Seems that by eating enough fruits and veggies with little to no fat everyday will do the trick on it's own, or is this wishful thinking?

3) I tend to want to graze on fruit rather than stuff myself silly three times a day. Is it really important that I get more disciplined about "meal" times or is grazing ok? And does it effect health and weight loss?

4) Should I get a consultation with Dr. Graham? Will he be able to offer me more than what is already stated in his book? Just wondering if a personal consultation is worth the big bucks?

Any insights veteran 811rv's can offer would be so appreciated!

Today I had a grazing feast of fruits and veggie soups.

9 Bananas (not all at one time, but in whole, whipped and pudding forms)
6 small nectarines (whole)
32 oz tri-berry smoothie with spirulina (I have a big bottle still in the cupboard, so got to use it up)
1 grapefruit
1 apple
Bowl of a tomato, basil, fennel, ramp and lemon soup (tasty flavors, although it was hard for me not to think it would have been better with a dash of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, but after a few bites I adjusted--well, sort of ;)

I seem to be averaging right around 2,000 calories a day and within the 80/10/10 paradigm, although I am usually more like 90/5/5.

I seem to prefer to save my fat cards up for a real blow out every few days, rather than having just a little everyday, which feels more like a tease than anything.

I look forward to refining this week and maybe following one of the spring menu's in Dr. Graham's book for fun.

Also had an amazing acupuncture session with the one and only Carrie C., and took a long, but more leisure walk. Got some good sun time in too! Love it.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Kyle, you are doing so well!

Dr. D says that he himself exercises about an hour a day. I do not think that vigorous exercise means exercising for several hours a day :)
Usulaly I do some strength training that takes 10-20 minutes, and then I run...30 mins to an hour.

Calorie tracking - if you're feeling well and not struggling with cravings or physical things, I wouldn't bother tracking your calories. I quit doing it a long time ago. However, I go back to it occasionally if I ahve questions about something...

Grazing - do whatever is comfortable for you, but be aware that grazing will keep your digestion working all day long. You may find yourself moving closer to 2-3 big meals a day. But don't sweat too much about it... just my opinion.

Consult - if you're doing well on your own, there's no need for a consult. I didn't get one in the beginning, but I did get one when I began to struggle about 7 months into it...

Have a happy fruity week!

Sandy said...

Congratulations!!
Can you believe it's already been 1 week? I can't believe it's already been 2 DAYS for me hahha I know I'm not a veteran 811 but vigorous excercise just means more intense--sprinting instead of walking, weight training instead of yoga. About calories..I would always eat and think about food 24/7 but for the past 2 days Ive been forcing myself to eat past my stomach capacity and I think it's working! Im kinda nausaus half of the time but hey, not thinking about food! haha

Can't wait for my 1 week mark :)