Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Days 8 & 9: Amping up the "vigorous" exercise

...ok, I am not this out of shape but...
Lately I have been feeling like my body wants to be worked out more. I always thought that I was a super physical person -- never taking the subway and always walking to and fro even in bad weather; rebounding in addition to the walking (sometimes up to 8 miles a day, depending) and practicing yoga several times a week. But even so, my heart rate rarely gets pumping and rarely do I break into much of sweat unless it is really hot out. So this week, I have decided to amp it up a few notches and start running again.
I used to be a big runner in high school and college and here and there as a working adult, but gave it up once I found rebounding because I was finding myself really dreading the whole ordeal of outdoor running in the city, plus my body was literally aching for a break from all the pounding. So having had a good year off of it, I have been giving it a go again this week and LOVING IT! I forgot how awesome the endorphin release feels, how quickly your heart gets pumping and the sweat starts pouring. I also love how I feel after getting home, taking a shower and then eating my meal with zero hesitation as to weather or not I should be eating it.

The irony is is that I am LESS hungry now that I am running?!? I thought for sure I would be more ravenous, and me being someone who is hungry even when I am not hungry is perplexed as to how this could be? But, I am NOT complaining and going to dwell in this new found freedom for as long as it and my knees last! ;)

Today I consumed (according to Nutridairy) 1693 calories, burned 844 in additional activities and was left with 858 to play with, I guess?

I am not going to list all that I ate today because it is a bit daunting, but basically it started off with my beloved green juice (yum, I missed you guys), fruit, fruit and more fruit all day, and ended with a big 32oz jar of green soup for dinner: 1 red bell pepper, 2 small oranges, 1 big bunch of spinach and one whole lemon (without the peel). Very tasty!

Tomorrows goals are to have only sweet juicy fruits in the AM, denser sweet fruits in the afternoon and greens and non-sweet acidic fruits at night. Sounds like a naturally good idea, but somehow banana ice cream keeps getting on the dinner menu? hehe

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Kyle

I looove running too. I just got a new running toy - the Garmin Forerunner 205 - and it is soo amazing, tells me how far and how fast I'm running with GPS. :)

About being less hungry after exercise - it's for survival reasons. You might consider buying "Nutrition and Physical Performance" by Dr. D - it is an amazing little gem. I always make sure to eat a decent fruit meal for recovery. I find that my appetite returns with a veangence after a few mouthfuls of fruit.

((hugs)) you are doing wonderfully and I'm so happy for you!

Sandy said...

I miss running! I's scared to run because whenever I weigh more then 125 my knees die on me haha Maybe I'll start in 30 days! Yay day 9 for you :)

MiandO said...

Sarah, don't tempt me! How cool is that little toy. It would be super helpful though...hummm I might just need to "reward" myself after a month goes by ;)

Sandy: Running used to hurt me too, until I found Chi Running. Google it, it is very cool and effective!