Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Day Two: Keeping it Simple

....Yum, mango smoothies in my tummy!

WOW, what a day. First off, it was long and full, but despite that, food for once took the back burner and was not the main focus for every waking moment. This is MAJOR for me because I can't think of a day when I was not thinking about my next meal, snack, meal, snack, meal (and don't forget one more mid-night snack;). Don't get me wrong, I definitely had a lot of food today, but I ate because I was hungry NOT because I was hankering for and aggravated by yet another ugly craving. Typically before starting the 80/10/10 diet, I would eat a meal and then immediately start craving something sweet, or savory or crunchy or soft. Now, eating mostly fruit and veggies, my cravings are no longer in the equation--all that is left is pure hunger. And after having a day filled with outdoor time and walking, it felt really GOOD to eat food that refueled me not ruled me. Gosh, I am still in disbelief! haha

The other thing that I tried out today was mono meal eating. Meaning that I tried to stick to one fruit and only one fruit for that specific meal. This was super interesting and really affirmed some things I already knew..go figure!

Here are my findings--
1) Mangoes: taste and digest like magic! Can eat many at one time without gas or bloating. Definite keepers!
2) Oranges: Well, taste great, super hydrating, but my belly felt a little acidic after eating 6 small ones. I think juiced or less in one sitting would have felt better. Digest fine, no gas or bloating.
3) Bananas: If SUPER ripe, or nearly black on the outside they are much easier for my body to handle. In this condition they melt in my mouth are VERY sweet and satisfying. Still not sure how many I can handle in one sitting since they are pretty dense.
4) Leafy Greens and Nori: LOVE IT! So nice after mostly sweet all day. Feels and digests like a charm.
5) Dates: So this is the tough one. These little buggers are definitely a hard call. Today I had several when I felt the need for something heavier and denser, but didn't have any riped bananas on me. But, I have to say that they tasted amazing, but did give me gas almost immediately, made me yawn for the first time all day (5:30pm) and give me a bit of a sugar coma. Oh, and my adrenals starting feeling achy too?! So I think these need to go on the "treat" list and be consumed in smaller numbers. :(

Today I had:

Upon Awakening:
Lots of Agua with all the fixings
16oz Green juice with apple and lemon

Breakfast:
Three large Champagne mangoes

Lunch:
16oz Mango/papaya/OJ and Lime juice Smoothie
An hour later: 6 small blood oranges

Snack:
20 oz coconut water
10 dates
2 ripe bananas

Dinner: Nori Rolls (many) stuffed with fresh spinach (divine!), sauerkraut, spring onions and a tomato/smoked dulse/mango chutney
One small bag of sugar snap peas
One small apple

Exercise: 30 min vigorous rebounding, 6 miles of walking(!)

Other: body brushing and colonic (NO candida! yippy!)

Time for rest and rejuvenation, my friends (although I am so energized still!)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Dates tend to give me problems when they're not fresh (ie, the water content has decreased a lot.) I have no problems digesting them at all when they are "wet" and totally fresh during date season.

Isn't mango wonderful, though?! :)

MiandO said...

Sarah,
I don't think I have ever had a "fresh" date before? All I know are the ones you find in the bulk section. Are fresh dates out with the other fruit? Thanks for your comment, Sarah, you are like a 811rv super star to me! I devour your blog everyday. Thanks for you inspiration!