Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Confessions

....hey, juicing is the cheapest face lift in town!
Sleep: 1:30pm-8:30am--Up late with the runs..those darn prunes work too well!
Hot Tea: 16oz Peppermint
Skin brushing/tongue scraping Hot/cold contrasting shower
Juice: 32ounces "Summer Rain" -- watermelon, cucumber, lime
Juice: 32 ounces "Green Lemonade" -- romaine, celery, kale, cucumber, ginger, lime, zeolite
Juice: 32 ounces "Pretty in Pink" --tangelo, blood orange, pink grapefruit with liquid C, Vitamin D3 and MSM
Walk: 3 miles
Feast Breaker: 10 soaked prunes, with prune water (brunch) and 10 soaked prunes with prune water (late afternoon); in between, 12 oz miso soup (broth only) and a bunch of 'bitesize' raw flaxseed crackers (dinner).

Ok, ok, I know you are thinking what the heck is she doing eating miso and flax, isn't fresh fruit the next step? Well, when I woke up this morning I had know idea this was going to happen either. My intention was to do prunes in the morning and then energy soup in the afternoon. But, I just could not get organized enough to get out of the house and shop for all the energy juice ingredient, get home, make it and get to work on time, so that did not happen. Then I ate the prunes and immediately got stabbing pains in my tummy followed by the runs and a sugar hangover feeling. I just laid on our sofa with my eyes close and did some deep breathing, desperately trying to get oxygen to my brain.

I finally mustered up the energy to get off my arse and briskly walk to the upper east side. At first they fresh air and the sun on my face felt great. I started to feel better and my head got clearer, but then about half way there my blood sugar dropped and the low sugar shakes came on strong. I felt so out of myself! I had a green juice in my bag but for some reason I just couldn't stomach the thought of greens. The only thing that sounded appealing to me was salt or something salty.

So I made it to a health food store, looked at the fresh fruit (which technically I am supposed to be eating now ) and thought I was going to gag (please, no more sugar of any kind!). However, my eye keened in on the miso soup at the hot buffet and my body perked up at the thought of a warm, salty, seaweedy broth. Then, (this is when being in transition, hungry and in a health food store gets dangerous!) I passed by the raw snack section (which funny enough looked so unappealing to me while JFing) and noticed these bite size dehydrated flaxseed "chips." I thought to myself, well, maybe I should get these just in case. At that point I so desperately need salt in my body (or so it felt) that I was worried I was going to chow down on a whole bag of Tostitos corn chips that I knew were easy access at my job. So at least having a raw backup plan, even though they were off limits for another couple of days, made me feel prepared for an emergency snack attack.

Well, I had the miso broth, which was divine, but not quite salty enough to appease my craving, so yup, I went for the flax chips, and how! One went in and the crunchy salty nuttiness was so divine, another and another and another flew into my mouth without shame or guilt. I took my time and chewed very well, till each chip was a mushy mass to help my poor body digest better, but I have to tell you it really wanted those chips! I definitely felt slightly out of control, a bit over stuffed, and very comforted by the food, but, my body responded very well and seemed to want it.

So, that's my confession. I did have the prunes later and again the stabbing pains were not nearly as bad as before? Not sure if the other food helped stretch my stomach out a bit or buffer the fruit, but whatever it was it was nice not to be in such discomfort. Let's see how I look and feel tomorrow! I might regret all of this then, yikes!

Yesterday I mentioned that slow transitions are really hard for me, and clearly that still seems to be my work -- really sticking to the process and not losing focus. I believe that I did in many ways what I needed to do to stabilize my blood sugar and my body, but there were also several ways I probably could have prevented this from happening in the first place: Mistake #1 I had a fruit juice in the morning followed by the prunes and not enough water. Way too many sugars with no greens to neutralize them or water to hydrate me. Mistake #2 Before succumbing to the Miso soup, I should have forced myself to have some water and green juice first and then gone for the soup if those two things didn't work. Mistake #3 Been more organized in the first place and had the energy soup or green smoothie ingredients on hand at home. Had that been in the equation I am sure at least the flax crackers would not have been necessary.

So fellow juicers out there about to transition back to solid foods, do take note!! Learn from my mistakes and keep up with your greens because the prunes are so high in sugars and you need to eat so many of them that your blood sugars will get really whacked out and it may throw you into a tail spin.

Tomorrow I have a clear plan of action: ALL GREENS, with maybe a little fresh fruit later in the day. But no prunes or fruit juices, just can't seem to handle them right now. And a colonic to pump today's little binge out.

So those are my confessions dear friends. Sorry if my shaking landing into the solid food world has disappoint you. Funny when I was eating the flaxseed chips, they only tinge of guilt I felt was towards my audience. I was thinking, oh no, I have to confess what I am doing! haha

But, I feel hungry like a bear right now and totally empathize with former JFers ravenous appetites post juice feast. I feel like my digestion has been reawakened after a long hibernation and it is HUNGRY! Four means to get your greens here I come!

xxkyle

4 comments:

Patti-licious said...

I'm so impressed with you. You just did a freakin' 30 day juice feast. You've proved your awesomeness and shouldn't need to justify yourself to anyone my dear. You are doing a great job integrating the food back in!! Please, after my first 30 day feast, Please!! Don't doubt yourself. You're body will tell you what it wants if you really listen, that's the only voice you should listen to. Forget about the voice of judgement and tell it to shut the hell up you are awesome you freakin lived on juice for 30 days! As long as you didn't have the nuts right when you broke the fast, that's the biggest thing really. And you did that. I don't know if I'll be able to continue to day 30 : ( only because of the effort of Making the damn juice everyday jeejsh! We'll see! Love you and think you are the best no matter what you eat!!! -yours, juicey goosey

Ben Kaelan said...

You're too cute! :P You shouldn't feel guilty about this sort of thing. That's like me when I binged on butternut squash; there are worst things out there you could be eating than miso soup and flax crackers LOL! :) Give yourself a break :P You've done an amazing job at juice feasting and have done wonders for your body. Don't be so hard on yourself. We, your audience, do not judge you... we to you with pride because you've been on a great journey. So chin up! :)

*hugs hugs hugs*

- Ben

PS: NYC trip might be delayed a bit... I'm still hoping for sometime in May but not that I'm down to one job money is tighter. We'll see. :)

Anonymous said...

wow. i can't believe how much your face changed!! you look phenomenal!
way to go!!!

MiandO said...

Awwww...thanks guys/gals! Perspective is such a good thing. Your guidance and strength is what this juicy girl needs.
With gratitude,
Kyle